Thursday, June 30, 2011

Understanding Change

I am led to a belief that everything is in a state of flux, and to a certain extent I certainly agree with this fact. In contemplating my mental state, I'm worried that I am stuck in an unshifting state - so I am relying on this fact about the impermanence of our mental states to deliver me from my suffering. Afterall, I have know memory of what it felt like when I was 5 years old... and perhaps one day I will no longer be able to recall the pain I am feeling today. I remember when I was 22 I had a very intense relationship that completely fell apart on me. At the time it felt like I would never be able to get over. I couldn't fathom things getting better after that sort of trauma. Nevertheless, after a few months of severe depression the veil started lifting. Now, I do think that depression is a more temporary type of state than the one that I currently reside in, however, in a year or so this may also be a vague memory. I have done reading about what is called state specific memory. Namely, that when you are in a specific mental state you are unable to access a certain experience. Once this state shifts you can re-access feelings and emotions that you thought were long dead. This may be the case! However, one cannot grasp or cling to the past. Unfortunately, that time is now history.


No comments:

Post a Comment